Sunday, June 22, 2008

Being a Feminist

For as long as I can remember I've been a feminist. While feminism can mean many things, I'm with the dictionary on this on, "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes." I firmly, one could almost say religiously, believe in the equality of the sexes.

Sometimes I'll talk to people that don't believe sexism is a problem today. That feminism has accomplished everything already. Some even argue that men are being discriminated because of feminism*.

I don't know what world people that don't perceive sexism as a problem live in. Perhaps they're just so used to it that they don't notice. When Berlusconi says that, "The left has no taste, even when it comes to women", that's sexism. Think about the implications of his statement. Apparently women aren't part of the left. Only the men count.

Look at some of the coverage of the presidential campaign in the US. That video made me both pissed and depressed. The part about how you couldn't have a woman in the oval office because of PMS and mood swings? Yeah, fuck you! I'm not really a violent person but that statement had me wanting to smash something.

I will grant the people saying sexism doesn't exist one thing, though. Things do look good on paper. It's people's attitudes and thoughts that are the problem. Like when people think women shouldn't do sports that are too physical.

I wish people would let go of their narrow ideas of what being male and female means and instead become feminists. It's good for your sex life.


*I know. That's not really a fair and representative link to choose. I just have a hard time sympathizing too much with the whole "the evil feminists took over everything and now it's just so hard to be male" point. I'm not saying there aren't instances where that is the case. But that's another blog post. I get mad when restrictions are made based on gender no matter what gender is being discriminated against. Hence the whole "equality of the sexes."

No comments: