Saturday, December 08, 2007

T'is the Season to be Jolly

Christmas is without a doubt my favorite season. I get even more happy than I usually am because Christmas is all about happy times with family and friends. Unlike other people I actually somewhat enjoy picking presents for people and thinking about their reaction when they receive them. However, some people have no shot whatsoever at making it to my "nice" list. These people include but are probably not limited to:


  • Spammers. Ha, according to my spell check that's not even a word. I like that! But boy, do I hate spammers! I hate noticing a new e-mail and full of anticipation open my mail program only to find that it's spam. If only I had a better spam filter.

  • People that forward chain letters. There's a word for that. It's spam! I don't want to participate in any virtual snowball fight. I don't care if I'll die a horrible, horrible death, be forever unlucky in love, never have my dreams come true, and/or some other terrible thing. Don't forward me that shit! If you see something that you truly think I'll find funny/enlightening/interesting/whatever, please do send me an email. Otherwise, no.

  • People who think freedom of speech should be limited. I think people should be allowed to say whatever they want. Sure, some of it will hurt or offend other people. But I don't think there is such a thing as "the right to not be offended". And I don't think there should be. However, when people can freely say ridiculously stupid or offending things, I get the chance to ignore them, leave, tell them just how ridiculous it is, or whatever else I might choose. Sure beats not knowing if people secretly are idiots.

  • People who think feminism is about any of the following things:

    • Hating men;

    • Not shaving your legs/not wearing makeup/not wearing a dress; or

    • Any other absurd claim that has nothing do to with equality.


    Feminism really isn't a complicated concept. Try looking it up in a dictionary: "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes". Not complicated. I believe strongly in equal rights and opportunities for all people. Ability and actions should be the determining factors. Not some arbitrary division of people into different groups. I hope you too are a feminist.

  • People who think gender is an explanation for anything. Phrases not acceptable in conversations with me include but are definitely not limited to:

    • "Boys will be boys!"

    • "He can't help it. He's a man."

    • "Oh, you don't get that, you're a girl." or "That's unusual for a girl."

    • "Women are just more nurturing."

    • "Oh, I can't stand being in a group with only women. There's just so much chitchat."

    • "Women are very useful in IT because they have better communication skills so they can communicate with the customer and ensure he gets the right IT-system."


    One of the nice things of (1) growing up with a stay-at-home dad and a mother that works as a programmer, (2) love football (the kind where you play with your feet. Not the kind where you run with the ball in your hands.), and (3) study computer science is, that people often reveal fairly quick if they think like that. Makes it easier for me to avoid them.

  • People who utter, "Men and women are different, but equal." Not that there's anything wrong with that per se. I mean, all people are different so it shouldn't come as some big surprise that if you compare a man and a woman, they'll be different. However, all the times I've heard people state this they don't mean "people are different". They mean "women are like this" and "men are like this". See the point above.

  • People who don't accept responsibility for their own actions.

  • People who think that calling somebody a homosexual is somehow an insult.

  • People who think sex is evil. As long as it happens between consenting adults, I really don't get why people would have a problem with it. The same goes for the sex industry. As long as we're talking consenting adults, I see no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to make money from sex.



So yeah. A lot of people wont be getting any presents from me. However, I believe people have the ability to change. So merry Christmas! :) Or, if you don't celebrate Christmas, "Merry December!" :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap. I guess I will not recieve a christmaspresent from you, since I actually think that men and women are different. If you compare them as 2 groups, I think you can say that the average man is different from the average woman. Of course there are exeptions - women who are more like men and the other way around.
Isn't it kind of 70ish to view men and women like you do?

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying that you cannot say something about the average man compared to the average woman. I'm just saying that all people are different and I don't think there is any one feature (except for the physical stuff) that all men have in common or that all women have in common. So I find it pointless to view them as one homogeneous group. Actually I believe it can reinforce stereotypes and be damaging. A study has shown that women's beliefs impact their math performance in the sense that if they think women are just bad at math they'll do worse on a test than women who are told that it is just a stereotype they can overcome. Makes sense to me. If you believe you were just made a certain way, then there is no point in changing or fighting that.

But anyway. Don't worry. Of course you'll be on my Christmas presents list! :)