Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yet another bet

If you have seen a few of my recent posts on my picture blog like one about me being wrapped in tin foil or me going to bed very late both sans alcohol, you might be wondering what is going on. I usually get drunk and do silly stuff, not stay sober. So what's the deal?

I've made a bet with Thomas. We're both laying off alcohol in February. An exception, though, is any function with open bar. Not exploiting an open bar leads to bad karma and nobody wants that! If we succeed, we are going to Bryggeriet and eating Australian/South American roast of rump. It is ridiculously delicious! However, the price is also a bit more than you can usually justify spending on a meal as a student. But we'll have the money because of all the money we haven't spend on alcohol. Clever, eh?

So what happens if we fail? Well, if just one fails, it's easy. That person picks up the tab when we go out for the celebration dinner. And will have to stand being mocked the entire dinner! If we both fail, we'll try again in March.

The most fun in this bet so far for me has been peoples reactions. Many have been shocked and asked why in the world I/we would do that!* Well, because we felt like it. It's fun to see how addicted to alcohol one is. Not in a physical way -- there's no addiction there -- but in a social way. Others have been quite impressed that I'm able to decide that I wont have any alcohol among other drinking people and then sticking to it.

It's really not been hard so far. Thomas has often been present as a partner in crime. But even without him it's easy to see some of the upsides of drinking:

  • No hangovers.

  • A lot of money saved.

  • No hangovers. Yeah, I really enjoy that one.

  • When everybody else is drunk and acting all silly, I wont be drunk.

  • No hangovers.

  • I wont pass out early from too much alcohol. I don't know if this is just something I've been experiencing -- I'll have to check with Thomas -- but when everyone else wants to go home, I'm still game! I'm simply just up for more partying! I guess this can be a downside as well because eventually people leave and I'll go home too but with my unfulfilled party lust still lurking.

  • No hangovers. I really can't stress that enough.


So all in all I think it's worth it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I might even try this a few times when February is over. I know my mom will think that it's a fantastic idea!


* In the first attempt I typed "bed" instead of "bet". That made those two sentences that much more fun!

No comments: