Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Worrying

One thing I've noticed that sets me apart from most other people I've met is that I don't tend to worry. Most of the time I think this is a good thing. Like the quote, "If you worry, you die. If you don't worry, you die. So why worry?"

In my world things always work out some way or another. Sure, some options may suck more than others but in the end I always manage. Trowing my purse away in Italy didn't leave me worrying how on earth I would get home with no passport, no money, and no phone. I wasn't there alone and I knew that the people around me would make sure I got home.

Perhaps I have a naive trust in not just the people around me, but also myself. I usually think that as long as I have my VISA card and my cell phone, I'll manage. Maybe I just got an ability to see the very big picture. I've never been in a situation where I don't know for sure that people have coped and do successfully cope with much, much worse. So why shouldn't I be able to do the same?

Not worrying is also closely related to not fearing stuff. I'm not saying I'm some fearless daredevil. I'm most definitely not. My point is just that I don't actively fear things without being right in front of them.

Sometimes people ask about your biggest fear. I never know what to answer. A friend of mine said he was afraid that something bad would happen to the people he loved. I felt like sort of an ass for not thinking about that one. But the truth is that I don't fear that. I would hate for it to happen but I don't go around thinking about it. I don't see the point -- it's not like it would make any difference.

Finally I would like to share one of my favorite poems. Perhaps I just took the advice in that one.

No comments: