Monday, January 21, 2008

Can you say "turnover?"

"Turnover." Yes, indeed I can. It's getting late here and I'm very tired. However, even after a refreshing bike ride home and the last part of a quantum information processing hand-in I still need a bit of time to recover from the ridiculously exiting match between Giants and Packers. Wow!

My experience with NFL is very limited. I watched two playoff matches last week and this past Tuesday I watched last year's Super Bowl. All of these were very exciting matches. The first match today between Patriots and Chargers was relatively uninspiring. Seriously, I didn't think you usually had any matches where one team doesn't score a single touchdown. I guess I was wrong. Only more experience will show. (Well, actually just looking at old statistics would show, but where's the fun in that?)

For a while in Giants against Packers I feared that Giants wouldn't score any touchdowns either. I was cheering loudly at each first down which felt kinda sad because, really? There should be something better to cheer at. Even though you have to hand it to Plaxico Burress. He did some badass catches. But then the match got exciting. A lot. For the last 5 minutes of the ordinary time I was biting one of my left fingers. (Yeah, I really mean my finger. I don't bite my nails. That's a bad habit I kicked about 10-15 years ago.) I think I might have a small bruise from it. It might also just be a vein. I'm not sure.

When Lawrence Tynes missed the second field goal and Packers won the coin toss, I was close to despair. Or well, actually it took a bit longer because I didn't know the overtime rules beforehand. However, when I learned it was sudden death, my hopes diminished somewhat. The match was still so insanely exciting that I had to switch to biting a right hand finger instead because the one on my left hand was too sore.

Then the turnover happened, Lawrence Tynes made amends, and everything was all good. Go Giants! As I mentioned last week, I chose NY Giants tentatively as my favorite team. They are now definitely my favorite team.

One might think that I chose them after this match. That was not the case. Neither Patriots nor Chargers really appealed to me after watching the match between them. Since I don't really like to switch teams -- even from a tentatively choice -- I fully went with Giants before the last match. I like the idea of choosing and team and sticking with it.

Besides it just being the first team I sorta fell for, NY Giants appeal to me for a lot of reasons:

  1. I like how they played against Dallas Cowboys last week. This was the reason I initially liked them.

  2. They play in blue and white just like AGF. Yeah, not that serious a reason but it all helps. :)

  3. I like Eli Manning. People were all "blah blah shadow of his brother blah blah" but I think he did well. And oh yeah … he looks good. Yum. Just saying.

  4. Plaxico Burress really has magic feet. Damn, he did some nice catches today!

  5. Did I mention that Eli Manning is hot?



So yeah … Go Giants! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, just admit it - you chose the team with a handsome QB with confidence, posh hair and a strong arm. ;)

Anonymous said...

Come on! Didn't you listen to the commentators? All quarterbacks have confidence, nice hair, and a strong arm! ;)